A very popular meat dish in the Central Travancore region of Kerala, Beef Ularthiyathu is a special delicacy in the region.
- Beef (trimmed) ½ kg
- Cloves 3-4
- Cardamom 2
- Shallots (sliced) 100 g
- Garlic (flakes) 1 big clove
- Ginger 1 piece
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Coconut (cut into small pieces) 100 g
- Vinegar ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil 50 ml
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Grind all spices together into a fine paste.
- Marinate beef with the spice paste and keep aside.
- Add ginger, garlic, shallots, curry leaves, coconut, vinegar and salt to the marinated meat and mix thoroughly.
- Cook meat on a slow fire till tender.
- Temper beef with coconut oil, mustard seed, curry leaves, shallots and crushed garlic.
- Serve hot.