- 1½ cups freshly grated coconut
- ¾ cup water
Substitutions: A coconut shell with one eye pierced and placed over the valve of a pressure cooker might be used as a substitute.
A steamer could also be used.
Preparation Method :
- Mix 5 tbsp of grated coconut and salt into the rice flour.
- Mix water into it in small quantities. The water is mixed in by rubbing it into the flour, so that the flour becomes granular. It should not be too dry or too wet.
- Place a layer of 2-3 tbsp of coconut at the bottom of the puttu vessel and then put the rice flour mixture, followed by another layer of coconut.
- Steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the puttu from the vessel and serve hot with kadala curry, plaintains or just sugar and ghee