- 1 cup toor dal
- 5 cups vegetables, cubed (brinjals, potatoes, ladies fingers, drumsticks, snake gourds)
- 2 tsp Sambar masala powder (Substitute: 1 tsp chili powder + 1 tsp coriander powder + ½ tsp fenugreek seeds)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafetida (hing)
- Marble-sized ball of tamarind
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 shallots or ½ onion, finely chopped
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- Soak toor dal for 12 hrs.
- Pressure-cook the dal for 5 min with 2 cups water.
- Soak the tamarind in half a cup of water for 10 minutes and then squeeze and extract its juice. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in pressure-cooker, add the seasoning ingredients and fry till the shallots or onion are soft and light brown.
- Add the sambar masala powder and vegetables and stir for a minute.
- Add salt, asafetida, tamarind juice, 1½ cups water, and pressure cook for 3 more minutes.