- Dry roast the dal until fragrant, and then pressure-cook it with 5 cups water and salt.
- Mash it well and add more water if necessary.
- Grind grated coconut, green chillies, 6-7 curry leaves, turmeric powder, garlic and cumin seeds to a paste.
- Add the paste to the dal and simmer for a minute.
- Add pepper and cook for 5 more minutes with occasional stirring.
- Heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add the red chillies, shallots and curry leaves.
- When the onions turn brown, pour it over the curry.