- Fenugreek powder/uluva podi - 1/2 tsp
1. Chop the ginger and fry in oil until brown and crispy. When it cools down, grind or crush in a mixer.
2. Soak the tamarind in warm water(around 2 cups) and extract its juice.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies, shallots (if you are using them) and saute until the shallots turn brown. Now add the green chillies, curry leaves and saute for a few more minutes.
4. Pour the strained tamarind extract to it. Bring it to a boil and add chilly powder, fenugreek powder and hing. Now add the ground ginger and jaggery. Mix well. Check for salt. Cook for another 10 - 15 minutes stirring in between and switch off. Adjust the gravy according to your consistency. I like to have a medium-thick consistency. You can store it in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks. Use it like a pickle though I have it like a curry .
1) You could also grate ginger instead of chopping it. Squeeze out the juice, fry and crush them in a mixer.
2) Add more green chillies, if you wish to avoid using chilly powder.